Saturday, September 29, 2012

Unusual Pack List

I'm sure that most people are capable of making sure they bring along all the right clothing and toiletry items, and the usual travel items (like outlet converters). Here I'm just going to provide a list of things that maybe you wouldn't think to bring along. I've studied abroad twice before, so at this point I really should know what I'm talking about, but of course I'm sure I'll get there and think, darn it why didn't I bring that? At any rate, here is my Unusual Pack List:

  1. Grocery Bag. Bring your own or else pay for your bags. It's usually only like 5 cents a bag, but I can think of better ways to spend money than on plastic baggies. 
  2. Laundry Bag. This is one I forgot last time, because frankly I didn't even think about it. It wasn't a big problem, but it's definitely a convenience factor to have something to hold your dirty clothes. The one I'm bringing, a gift from admissions I think, folds flat. I love things that fold flat. 
  3. Something homey. Whether it's a family picture, a favorite stuffed friend, or just a trinket you really like, bring it along. If you're going to live someplace for an extended period of time, it should have something in it that says Home.
  4. Books/movies/entertainment. What do you do in your free time? Read? Watch movies? Sew? Play harmonica? Don't pack your whole library, but be sure to bring a few or you are going to get bored in the evenings. 
  5. Paper and pens. I may not be taking any classes but that doesn't mean I won't need a spiral notebook and some pens and pencils. 
  6. First aid kit. They sell travel sized first aid kits, but I guess you could make your own if you're crafty like that. It's one of those things that if you have it, you won't need it, but if you don't, you will. 
  7. Sewing kit. Similar reasons to the above. They also sell little travel sized sewing kits. 
  8. A combo lock. And the combo. You will want a lock, especially if you do any traveling that involves a hostel. Also, make sure you know the combo to said lock, because they're not particularly helpful without it. 
  9. Alarm clock. If you generally use your phone, that's cool. The rest of us need to pack one. 
10. And finally an item to leave behind: An Important Documents Folder. This should be your last island of sanity in the event that all hell breaks loose. Think: if my apartment and all my stuff blew up, what would I need a hard copy of? What documents might I need to get my life back to a certain amount sanity? Gather it up and give it to someone responsible, like your mom. 

Any questions about what I'm bringing or not bringing? Please feel free to ask! 




No comments:

Post a Comment